Dark River Review, the national undergraduate literary magazine at Alabama State University, is accepting submissions for the 2018/2019 issue until MARCH 15, 2018. Students currently enrolled as undergraduates at two- and four-year colleges and universities are invited to submit poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and visual art.
Our editorial staff has a wide-ranging aesthetic and desires excellent work, especially from diverse and underrepresented voices, including but not limited to people of color, women, members of the LGBTQIA communities, and the differently-abled.
Submit online at http://tinyurl.com/DRR-subs.
- All work must be original and previously unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please withdraw your piece promptly if it’s accepted elsewhere.
- Submit no more than five poems, short stories, creative nonfiction essays, or works of visual art.
- Please send only your best work that has already been thoroughly proofread. We reject many submissions simply because they haven’t been thoroughly proofread. Check out our advice for submitting to literary journals and the Dark River Review house style guide.
- Poetry should be single-spaced. Prose should be double-spaced. Writing submissions must be saved in .doc, .docx, or .rtf. format. Name files with your last name, first initial, and genre; e.g., Jones M – Poetry.docx.
- Visual art submissions must be saved in .jpg or .png format at 300 dpi or better and should be publication ready.
- Include a brief third-person biography of no more than fifty words (see examples from previous issues).
- Notifications will be made on a rolling basis with an expected publication date in 2018-2019. Please do not query until September 2018.
- Upon publication, Dark River Review assumes first serial rights; all rights revert back to contributors upon publication, so that authors and artists may re-publish their work elsewhere provided proper acknowledgment is given to Dark River Review.
- THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS MARCH 15, 2018.